Defeat against Warrington despite good performance

Our first men’s team were travelling to Manchester for the 2nd time this season, this time to take on Warrington Wolves HC last Saturday. Playing in the Trafford Soccerdome, the team started very strongly, with an agile, aggressive 5-1 defence that kept the backcourt shooters of Warrington well in check. Both their experienced GB-Olympian Chris McDermott and their fast young players struggled with our defence, allowing Cambridge to open up an early lead. 20 minutes into the game, Cambridge was leading by 4 goals, but the energy-consuming defence took its toll and Cambridge couldn’t quite keep up the momentum, leading to some more goals now from the Wolves. They managed to close the gap by half time, and the teams went into a break at an even 16-16. Cambridge pledged to come out strong, but failed to deliver and an unfocused performance in the first 5-10 minutes of the 2nd half cost the team dearly, falling behind by 4 goals, not scoring for 5 minutes. Unprovoked mistakes started to creep in, and easy chances for scoring were missed, while the Wolves managed to capitalise more from our mistakes. The team rallied and managed to stop the gap from growing, but failed to narrow the margin by repeatedly missing good goal scoring chances and conceding unnecessary 2minute suspensions. The last 10 minutes of the game, Cambridge stepped up their game once more to put Warrington under pressure, trying to close down the gap once more. This was partially successful, with the hosts now acting noticeably more nervously, allowing Cambridge to gain chances again but unfortunately the conversion rate was not sufficient and Cambridge never managed to close the gap to more than 2 goals. In the end, the man-on-man defence created more shooting chances for Warrington and they managed to run out winners 33-28 in a very physical and hard fought match.

Although this means for Cambridge another defeat, the attitude and defence that was demonstrated throughout the vast majority of the game was admirable. Now it remains to cut out the 10 minutes (end of 1st half, beginning of 2nd half) that ultimately lost us the game, and remain focussed for 60minutes of the game! Our final Super8 match before Christmas is against London GD, who are currently top of the tables. However, last weekend saw their first defeat against Ruislip HC, so with a strong team performance, we know that it is possible to beat them.

Meanwhile, the coming weekend is match free for all of our teams, so we have arranged for some friendly matches for both our men’s and women’s teams against Norwich on Sunday, 6.12 between 12-4pm at Chesterton Community Sport Centre.

Next week we are back to league action with the first men’s team playing London GD, followed by the 2nd men’s team playing Islington HC (both in the Copper Box).

London GD vs Cambridge HC

Islington HC vs Cambridge HC